Scottish Teachers vote to stop Army recruiting in schools:
The SLLU welcome the scottish teaching union, EIS, decision to ban army recruitment from schools.
This despicable practise, in which the army recruitment officers act like the "Child Catcher" in the film "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!" centres, enevitably, in those areas devastated by the ruinous policies of Thatcher, Bush, Reagan, Major and Blair. Our poor are dying in the foriegn oil fields in order to fill the pockets of the rich.
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! BRING OUR BOYS HOME!
GELDOF G8 - "BOLLOCKS!"
Even the liberal Blairite fan, Bob Geldof, has called the latest G8 summit "Bollocks" and a sham. He has said of the deal between the leaders of the richest eight nations – all of whom are millionaires - , "This wasn't serious, this was a total farce... I won't have it spun as anything else except a farce."
Come to the Cre8 Garden and help create something worthwhile - a memorial to the past present and future victims of Globalisation/capitalism. And let’s put pressure on our politicians to ensure a fair world for everyone.
Capitalism Kills. Come plant a flower (there is one on this notice) at the Cre-8 Anti-G8/Capitalism Garden in memory of all of the victims of this violent world system we live in.
It is an indictment of the current world system that
1. that there are more people in the world in poverty than not
2. there is enough food in the world to feed everyone, yet millions starve and millions die of obesity
3. the gap between the incomes of the richest and poorest countries was about 3 to 1 in 1820 and over 72 to 1 nowadays
4. The amount of food spent on pet food in the US and Europe each year equals the additional amount needed to provide basic food and health care for all the people in poor countries with a sizeable amount left over.
5. WOMEN AND CHILDREN MAKE UP 76% of poor people in the US (institute for women’s policy research 2001) 7. $13billion a year would satisfy the worlds sanitation and food needs (about as much as the people of the US and European Union spend each year on perfume)
6. The 225 richest people in the world have a combined wealth of more than $1 trillion - equal to the annual income of the poorest 47% of the earths population, some 2.5 BILLION people.
7. Former chief economist of the World Bank, Joseph Stiglitz in his book "Making Globalisation Work" admits that globalisation makes some people poorer and that Africa has gotten poorer since the 1980's while wages for the av American family have fallen as the US continues to borrow $2 billion a day from the rest of the world.
8. 42 million Americans live in poverty - 25.3% are American Indians and Alaskan natives; 24.9 % are Black; 21.8% are Hispanics; 11.1% are Asians and 8.3 % are whites - see above for a breakdown on how many are women.
9. A Canadian study shows that the wealthiest nations do not have the healthiest people. instead, it is the countries such as Norway and Cuba with the smallest economic gap between rich and poor.
Capitalism has failed - it is an unsustainable economic model - its central premise of unlimited economic growth is impossible to achieve in a world of finite resources. we are subordinating life to commerce, rather than commerce to life.